Monday, October 6, 2008

Does Anyone Know CPR?

I get my deep fryer out about once every 9 months or so, and usually because I am craving really good crab Rangoon. Then, I fry to my heart's content... or until the oil gets nasty... I scrub the fryer. It sits on my kitchen table for about a month because I am too lazy to drag it to its home in the basement. Eventually it does end up in the basement, where it stays for 8 months until I repeat the aforementioned process.

On Saturday, I had some friends over to eat fried food and play games... in that order. Here's what I made...

Adrienne's Rockin' Crab Rangoon
2 (8 oz) pkgs. cream cheese
1 (8 oz) pkg. imitation crab, chopped
4 cloves crushed garlic
4 green onions, chopped
2 teaspoons sugar
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 package wanton wrappers

Mix the first six ingredients together. Put one teaspoon mixture in the center of a wanton wrapper. Dip your finger in water, and trace it around the perimeter of the wanton wrapper. Fold one corner diagonally across . Pinch to close. Then, fold the remaining two corners up to this corner. Fry at 350 F until golden brown. Serve with sweet and sour sauce and spicy mustard.


Eggs Rolls

1 package pre-shredded slaw mix
1/2 cup fresh bean sprouts
4 green onions, chopped
1 cup shrimp, cooked, peeled and deveined
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
black pepper to taste
1 egg, beaten
cornstarch
20 egg roll wrappers

Mix together cabbage, sprouts, and onion. Stir in shrimp, soy sauce, garlic powder, and black pepper. Pour beaten egg into a skillet placed over medium heat; cook until done. Remove from skillet, cool, and chop finely. Stir egg into cabbage mixture. Sprinkle top with cornstarch, mix, and allow to sit 10 minutes.

Place 2 or 3 tablespoons of the shrimp mixture into the center of an egg roll skin. Dip your finger in water, then trace the perimeter of the wrapper. Fold the egg roll skin from the bottom over the mixture, making a tight tube of the shrimp mixture. Fold corners in from the sides; then, roll the rest of the way. Repeat with remaining egg roll wrappers.

Fry at 350 F or until golden brown. Serve with sweet and sour sauce and hot mustard.


Jalapeno Popper Spread
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 (4 ounce) can chopped green chilies, drained
2 ounces canned diced jalapeno peppers, drained
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Stir together cream cheese and mayonnaise in a large bowl until smooth. Stir in green chiles and jalapeno peppers.

At this point, you can toss this in a crock pot to warm it up, bake it in the oven at 350 F until it is bubbly, or microwave it, if the thought of microwaved mayo doesn't gross you out.

As per my friend Amber's suggestion, I wrapped it in wanton wrappers and fried like crab Rangoon. (See aforementioned crab Rangoon recipe for specifics...) I actually didn't have one, but it got rave reviews from my friends. I served this with Ranch Dressing (Ken's... to be exact.)


At this point, I'm sure you are wondering what else I could have possibly fried. You will have to continue to wonder, because I have to go to sleep. BUT, I will update tomorrow with the rest of the fried items, as well as the two crock pot appetizers I served... Do you think I had too much food for 4 people???

2 comments:

Crystal said...

Bravo! I want to try them all!

cherokeeannie said...

Hi Adrienne,
I found your blog through a/r. Someone posted your site for a Squash Enchilada recipe. All your recipes
look wonderful. I'm so glad I found you. I love the way you express yourself about your daily life. The
funny comments about your family are so dear and true!! My husband just got back from Malaysia and announced he wants to start having Chicken Satay.
Like I'll jump right on that!! Then I found your recipe how great is that!! I'll have to pass on my Tofu Enchilada recipe very yummy!! Have a good day!!
Cherokeeannie