Saturday, June 26, 2010

Broccoli Salad!!!

It was an ordinary Tuesday. Bratwurst night. On the menu, I had listed mac and cheese, and broccoli salad. I had never tried the broccoli salad recipe before, and feared I would not like it, but had high hopes. I wanted to like it. It was nice and cool for summer, healthy... I am trying to incorporate more side dishes into my repertoire, though, so I was giving it a shot. Who knew this broccoli salad would become my new favorite summer recipe? I have made it three times since my initial discovery. It is so good! (Also that night we had BBQ ed Brats and a box of mac 'n cheese from Aldi. The broccoli salad clearly stole the show, and, incidentally, took the most effort.)

Broccoli Salad

Sweet-Hot Pecans:
4 teaspoons sugar
1/4 - 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
1/2 cup pecan halves, broken into coarse pieces

Dressing:
2 (6 oz.) containers Orange yogurt
1/3 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1/8 teaspoon salt

Salad:
5 cups fresh broccoli florets
2 medium mangoes
1/4 cup finely chopped red onion

Lightly spray a small skillet with cooking spray. Add sugar and pepper; mix well. Stir in pecans. Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until sugar mixture is melted and pecans are coated. Remove from heat. Set aside to cool.

In a small bowl, mix all dressing ingredients together until smooth.

Mix all salad ingredients in a large bowl. Add dressing and cooled pecans. Toss gently. Store in the refrigerator.


1 comment:

Crystal said...

Looks good. I have been on a cooking hiatus and have decided its time to jump back in...I come here for inspiration!