Saturday, July 19, 2008

Day 4 Success!

Friday's Supper

Beef Burgundy (from allrecipes.com, modified)

2 pounds sirloin, cubed
1 medium onion, chopped
16 oz. fresh mushrooms, sliced
2 tablespoons butter
1 (10.75 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
1 cup red wine (nothing too sweet! I used a Cabernet from Australia)

Over medium-high heat, sear beef on all sides. Stir in onion and saute until golden brown. Add mushrooms, butter, mushroom soup and wine. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 2 hours.

I served this over egg noodles (boiled per the package directions), and with fresh green beans that I steamed in one of those new Ziploc steamer bags. I have found that the steamer bags' "suggested cooking time" is about twice as much as needed for the veggies to turn out the way I like them. I added a little butter, and grated salt and pepper. Delicious!

This recipe used a sirloin from the freezer, egg noodles and cream of mushroom soup from the pantry. As far as the challenge goes, it was a success.

Also, for lunch I made myself a box of Betty Crocker instant mashed potatoes (from the pantry), so all in all that aspect of the day was a success.

Other parts of the day, though, not so successful. I finally dragged my lazy rear end into the shower, gathered up my stuff and headed to my friend Sarah's house to work on my thesis. She also lacks motivation to work on HER thesis, so it was destined to be really productive or a colossal waste of time. Despite falling asleep intermittently on her couch, I was able to get a book read, and she got some work done as well. We did have to take a short break, though, when her neighbor backed into my car. Oops. As the result of a crazy series of events, I was driving the Civic, so the dent is in the car that just turned over 100,000 miles, and not in the brand new, still sparkly, smells like new car, I'd cry if anything happened to it - Accord.

I'm off to prepare my mom's birthday supper (and therefore lots of recipes are on their way!)

No comments: