Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Day 1

Today is the first official day of "The Challenge..."

For lunch, I made wraps and served it with fresh fruit (watermelon and cantaloupe)

The "recipe"...

Red romaine lettuce
Chopped chicken from a Costco Rotisseried Chicken
Grated Colby Jack Cheese
Ranch Dressing
Spinach and Herb Tortillas

Mix. Wrap. Serve.

The reaction... Yummy! (And filling and healthy... didn't use much Ranch)

For supper, I am making stir fry, or in the words of my aunt Jan, Chicken Slop. Unlike lunch, which did not utilize ANY of my freezer or pantry items, supper utilizes several.

The recipes:

Chicken Slop
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (from freezer) marinated in Sesame Ginger marinade (from pantry)
Bag of stir fry veggies (from freezer)
Fresh mushrooms

I am not sure how I am going to actually prepare these items, so I will update after supper when I post the verdict to the meal.

Brazilian Rice (from allrecipes.com - altered)

2 cups long-grain white rice
2 tablespoons minced onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 cups hot water
2 cups vegetable broth

Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook the onion in the oil for one minute. Stir in the garlic and cook until the garlic is golden brown.
Add the rice and salt and cook and stir until the rice begins to brown. Pour hot water over rice mixture and stir. Reduce heat to low, cover the saucepan, and allow to simmer until the water has been absorbed, 20 to 25 minutes.

I have a disturbing amount of rice and chicken broth in the pantry, so this also helps deplete the mammoth supply.

No comments: