Saturday, June 19, 2010

Shish Kababs and Fruit Salad... Yummy Yummy...

The photo below makes me think I need to create a staging area for my photos. You can tell by the junk in the background I had just made my quarterly trip to Wal-Mart for razors and Q-Tips and carpet cleaner, and all that stuff you wonder how the cavemen lived without.

On this evening, I had eaten supper with my parents at a delicious restaurant called Gulf Shores, but I had promised Brad I'd cook him dinner, so at eleven at night, I am outside, by soft glow of the streetlight and the light emanating from the open garage door behind me, trying to grill shish kabobs. I honestly do not know how they turned out, because I didn't eat any of them, but Brad ate what I gave him, and then took the leftovers for lunch for three days, so I am guessing they were yummy.


Bacon-Wrapped Marinated Chicken Shish Kabobs (From Allrecipes)
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup cider vinegar
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons canola oil
10 large mushrooms, cut in half
2 green onions, minced
3 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into chunks
1/2 pound sliced thick cut bacon, cut in half
1 (8 ounce) can pineapple chunks, drained

In a large bowl, mix the soy sauce, cider vinegar, honey, canola oil, and green onions. Place the mushrooms and chicken into the mixture, and stir to coat. Cover, and marinate in the refrigerator at least 1 hour.

Preheat grill for high heat.

Wrap the chicken chunks with bacon, and thread onto skewers so that the bacon is secured. Alternate with mushroom halves and pineapple chunks.

Lightly oil the grill grate. Arrange skewers on the prepared grill. Cook 15 to 20 minutes, brushing occasionally with remaining soy sauce mixture, until bacon is crisp and chicken juices run clear.


With this, I also made a Noodle-Roni Pasta Pouch of Terryaki Noodles, and a light and delicious fresh fruit salad.

Fruited Jicama Salad
Dressing:
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon honey
2 teaspoons water
1/2 teaspoon poppy seeds
1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel

Salad:
1 cup peeled jicama strips
1 medium apple, unpeeled, cored and thinly sliced
1 (8 oz) can pineapple chunks, drained

In a small container with a tight fitting lid, shake all dressing ingredients together. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, mix all salad ingredients. Pour dressing over salad; toss lightly to coat. Cover and refrigerate until serving time.


This was a nice, fresh, light treat. The dressing prevents the apples from browning, so the salad stays delicious for about 3 days. 1 cup of peeled jicama strips is about 1/3 of the jicama, though, so I would recommend looking up other jicama recipes as not to waste the remainder of the ... vegetable. I think it is a vegetable. We are going to go with vegetable.

No comments: