Sunday, July 27, 2008

The 28 Meal Plan

When I was in college, you could either get the 20 meal plan or the 14 meal plan. The college charged you for the 20 meal plan, and then gave you a $40 credit if you only wanted 14 meals, so almost everyone had the 20 meal plan. However, the cafeteria was only open from 4:30 - 630 pm, and as we all know, college students rarely go to bed early. Usually around midnight, we were all hungry again. In College Town USA it was never difficult to remedy the late night munchies, but we all used to joke that we were on the 28 meal plan, because we ate breakfast, lunch, dinner and what Taco Bell has now copyrighted as "Fourth Meal." Ironically enough, many of our "fourth meals" actually were at Taco Bell.

This summer, I have been on the 28 meal plan, again, and it is never a good plan to revert to the way you were in college...ever. Brad doesn't eat breakfast and works second shift, gets up at 10, leaves for work at 12:30 and eats his first meal around 4:30 or 5. Then, when he gets off work at 10, he is hungry. That would be all fine and good, EXCEPT...

I do eat breakfast. I eat a little something around the time I wake up, an English Muffin or a bowl of cereal. Then, a couple of hours later, I am hungry again, so I eat "lunch," though it is usually at around 3 or 4. I try really hard to wait until 11 when Brad gets home for supper, but I inevitably give into the growling tummy around 8.... and then he comes home hungry.

Today, for what we will call "dinner," I had some of the frozen pot stickers (thus depleting the freezer supplies...)

For "Fourth Meal," I made a delicious pizza.

Necessity is the Mother of Invention Pizza
1 Jiffy pizza crust mix

1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon crushed garlic
1 pinch sugar

1 8 oz. pkg. fresh sliced mushrooms
1 4 oz. can sliced black olives
1 small onion, sliced
1 8 oz. pkg mozzarella cheese
1 8 oz. pkg 6 Italian cheese blend

Preheat oven to 450 F.

Make crust per package directions. Lightly butter pizza pan and sprinkle with garlic salt.

Mix all sauce ingredients together and stir well.

Spread sauce on top of pizza crust. Top with onions and black olives. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese over toppings. Sprinkle mushrooms on top of cheese and then top entire pizza with Italian cheese blend.

Bake for 18 minutes or until crust is crispy and cheese is golden brown.


From my supplies I used... the Jiffy pizza crust mix, can of tomato sauce and a can of sliced black olives.

It was really good. I ate 3/8 of the pizza. Brad ate the rest. This is a bit sad, because I was going to pack it in his lunch for tomorrow. Now he has to have a ham sandwich.

If I were to make pizza like this again, I would add more garlic, and maybe sprinkle some of the Italian seasoning over the top. It was really good, but it needed a bit more of a kick.

No comments: