Tuesday, February 7, 2012

I. Hate. Legumes.



So, on this diet, I am supposed to eat three servings of legumes a day, which include any type of bean, lentils, hummus, and green peas. I enjoy hummus, but I don't enjoy 3/4 cup a day of it every day. I enjoy green peas, but I don't enjoy 3/4 cup a day of it every day, or even every other day, if I alternated between hummus and green peas. I liked baked beans (Legumes + lots and lots and lots of brown sugar). I like refried beans (Legumes + lots of lard, and usually cheese). I pick the beans out of chili and other soups, so I knew I wasn't going to suddenly discover a bean I enjoyed. What's left? Lentils. I tried them. I tried the green ones. I tried the pink ones. I tried them in salad. I tried them in soup. I tried them in stuff and on stuff. I tried them hidden in stuff and to the side of stuff. I don't like them. I. Don't. Like. Legumes. So, I have decided to give up on them. I incorporate peas when I can, and I nosh on some hummus and celery now and again, but for the most part, I have pledged to be legume free.


This is the dinner where I gave up on the legumes for good. I am not even going to include the legumes in my recipes, because I don't like legumes.


Thyme Mustard Roasted Pork (modified from my Food Network Magazine)

2 tablespoons Dijon mustard

6 sprigs thyme, leaves only

1 pork tenderloin (about 1 1/4 pounds)

2 slices bacon, chopped

4 shallots, thinly sliced

1 stalk celery, diced

1/2 cup dry red wine


Preheat oven to 450 F. Mix the mustard and thyme leaves in a small bowl. Brush all of the mixture on the pork. Place the pork on a cookie sheet and bake in the oven for 20 - 25 minutes, or until the internal temperature of the thickest part is 145F. Let rest 5 minutes before slicing.


Meanwhile, combine the bacon, shallots, and celery in a skillet and cook over medium, stirring occasionally, until the bacon is crisp and the shallots are golden, about 8 minutes. Add the wine and cook until it evaporates, about 5 minutes.


Spoon the bacon mixture over the sliced pork.



We had frozen green beans with this. (And lentils. Yuck!)


This is sirloin tip, sliced very thinly, marinated in Beef Fajita Marinade (recipe listed to the left), served on corn tortillas with sauteed onions and peppers, and slices of avocado. Brad put cheese and sour cream on his, as well, which I totally would have done, but it isn't on my diet.


On the side, I made Spanish rice.


Spanish Rice

2 tablespoons vegetable oil

1 cup uncooked rice

1 onion, chopped

2 cups of water

1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chiles (such as Rotel)

2 teaspoons chili powder

1 teaspoon salt


Heat oil in a saucepan until hot. Add rice and onion and saute until the rice is browned and the onion is tender. Stir in the rest of the ingredients. Cover and simmer on medium-low heat for 30 minutes or until rice is cooked and the liquid is absorbed.



There is a meat market on my way to work called Manino's, and they have fillet Mignon for $5.49 each. Brad has become an expert at grilling them. That night we also had grilled vegetables. I marinate zucchini, mushrooms and onions in Italian salad dressing for a few hours, and then cook them on the grill using the grill pan. They are super easy and always delicious.


Brad wanted homemade potato chips, and my attempt was so successful, we've had them twice since this night. I scrubbed 3 small russet potatoes, and then sliced them using the thinnest blade on my mandolin. I lined two cookie sheets with foil, and then sprayed them with olive oil. I actually have a doodad that you pour olive oil into, and then pump it full of air and it mists out. I used that, but you could also brush it on or drizzle some on, and then use your hand or a paper towel or a spoon to spread it. Then, I place the potato bits in a single layer on the oiled foil, and generously spray the tops of them with olive oil. Then, I generously salt (probably a teaspoon for each tray of chips) and bake in a preheated 450F oven until they are brown and crispy. The only problem I've had is I have to peel them off of the foil. They come right off when peeled, but they don't come up with a spatula. I think if I used more oil it might help that process, but then, well, I'd be using more oil.



No comments: